Telford Town Park Map
Use our interactive map to view the different areas, pools and buildings that are present in Telford Town Park.
Click on the to find out more about a particular area or building on the map.
You can zoom in/out and pan around the map using the map control, or alternatively you can use your mouse pointer to drag the map aroung and your mousewheel to zoom in/out.
KeyHeritage trailNature trailHeritage and Nature trails (overlap)Nature reserve
Back to Telford Town Park website
© Copyright 2011 | Rob Calvert
- Queen Elizabeth II Telford Town Park Arena
- The Arena is a large open grassed area available for all visitors of Telford Town Park to make use of, from informal recreation to picnicking and relaxing. Often the venue for Town Park based events and activities and available for hire, see the ‘What’s On Page’ for further details.
The Arena has been designated as the first Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Field In Trust in the West Midlands. The Fields In Trust programme protects outdoor recreational spaces in communities as a permanent living legacy of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.
- Play Areas
- Renowned for its innovative and interesting play, Telford Town Park provides excitement for a variety of ages. Toddler, younger and older children’s play includes attractions such as a soft surface maritime themed play area, a large wooden adventure trim trail, a huge 'spider's web' climbing frame, and a high tunnel slide to name a few.
- Teenage Activity Area
- Now open, the Teenage Activity area has available 2 Multi-Use Games Courts catering for tennis, basketball, netball etc, an outdoor staged area and seating. See our ‘What’s On Page’ for upcoming details on coaching and training on court based sports sessions.
- Water Play (coming soon)
- Due to open Spring 2012, this new and exciting play facility is the first of its kind to Telford Town Park, enriching what is already an innovative and interesting play offer.
- New Visitor Centre
- Now open, this unique, low carbon, environmentally friendly and sustainable building is open to visitors. The new Visitor Centre has all new facilities including; a state of the art classroom/learning centre with an outdoors space (which is available to hire), a reception area and enquiries point, public toilets, baby change facilities, and a light refreshments.
Also at the back of the Visitor Centre is The Bicycle Hub where you can hire bikes.
- Southwater Development (coming soon)
- Exciting Works have commenced on this development that will see a vibrant new heart created for Telford Town Centre. Proposals include new cafes, restaurants, retail, office, residential and leisure development. Visit www.heartoftelford.co.uk for further information.
- This magical theme park where nursery rhymes and fairytales come to life offers an enchanting experience for all the family. From storytelling, nature trails and play facilities, this attraction offers both an educational and recreational visit for all. For further information visit www.wonderlandtelford.net/ or call 01952 591633
- Telford Hornets Rugby Club
- This regional facility offers a whole rugby experience from training, coaching, competitive play and event hire. For further information visit www.telfordrfc.co.uk or call 01952 505440
- Created in 2010, this memorial is a central location for borough residents and all visitors offering a quiet area for remembrance and reflection.
- Telford Ice Rink
- The Soft Play area is now open. View more information on the Ice Rink website.
- Mecca Bingo
- Visit the Mecca Bingo website.
- TenPin Bowling Alley
- Visit the TenPin Bowling website.
- Telford International Centre
- Visit the Telford International Centre website.
- Chelsea and Maxwell Gardens
- The Chelsea Gardens, originally designed and built to be exhibited at the Chelsea Flower Show. Wander through the Gazebo Garden, the Water Garden, Summerhouse Garden and Rose Garden.
The Community Gardens, a community run garden with raised planting beds.
The Maxell Gardens, created in the style of a Japanese garden to display the gift of Japanese flowering cherry trees, is sponsored by Telford based Japanese company, Maxell.
- Spout Mound
- Stirchley Chimney and Furnaces
- The Old Park Iron Works were established in 1790 by Thomas Botfield, originally with two blast furnaces, a forge and a mill. In 1826 the Botfields installed the Stirchley blast furnaces followed by the Stirchley forge and a rolling mill. The lease, obtained from the estate of Lord Darlington expired in 1856 and was purchased by the Old Park Iron Co. who built the Stirchley Chimney in 1873 before selling the works to the Wellington Iron & Coal Co. in 1874. The Chimney was constructed of Randlay brick and is approximately 209 feet high. There is a small opening on the western side of the Chimney and it was connected to the furnaces by a tunnel. In 1874, the Old Park Iron Works, formerly the Stirchley furnaces, had four blast furnaces, three mills and forges. In 1877, the ironworks reverted back to the landowner, Edward Cheney, until they were blown out in 1885. Like the Hinkshay works, the Stirchley forge and rolling mills were sold to the Haybridge Iron Co. in 1873. The works were rebuilt in 1876 and a nail factory was established on the site in 1874-5 until 1885. The forge and rolling mill continued in use until it closed in approximately 1900.
- Norman Chapel
- The Norman Chapel at Malinslee was constructed to the north of the Park boundary in circa 1150. Very little is known about the Chapel or the settlement it served. In 1971, the chapel was in a ruinous condition but the main structure was intact. It was removed from its location and later re-erected in the Town Park.
- Silkin Way to Ironbridge
- Dark Lane Coach Park
- Sat Nav postcode is TF4 3NZ.
Alternative Parking: There are a number of car parking areas available for visitor parking, most of them signposted as Telford Shopping Centre car parks.
- Withy Pool
- A remnant industrial pool constructed before 1882, this reservoir was once connected to the former canal and railway which ran north to south of the Park and was exploited by the iron industry to generate power.
This Pool is well stocked for the coarse fisherman. Day tickets are issued at the bank side or visitor centre and fish stocks include bream, carp and Wels catfish.
- Spout Pool
- Formal Pool which is home to nesting Moorhens and ducks.
- Randlay Pool
- A remnant industrial pool first identified on an 1808 map, Randlay Pool was once connected to the former canal and railway which ran north to south of the Park. Its shape evolved over time to accommodate the needs of a variety of industries including the Randlay Brickworks, Ironworks and general mining activity. Fragments of these industries can be seen on its banks today.
It is now a nature lover’s delight with Heron, Grebe and King fisher to be spotted. Fishing is also available via day ticket or membership of Telford Angling Association.
- Blue Pool
- A remnant industrial pool created on the site of the former Cooks Wood Clay Pit and exploited by the iron industry to generate power.
The suspended clay particles give this pool its name as the sunlight catches them and turns the pool into a blue oasis.
- Fletcher's Pool
- Grange Pool
- One of the non fishing pools in the park. Located close to Stirchley Grange once inhabited by monks. The oldest tree in the park can be found in this location – a 300 – 400 year old oak.
- Hinkshay Pools
- Remnant industrial pools, now a fishing pool. The Crystal clear waters reveal ample fish stocks. Operated by Dawley Angling Club the two pools in this location are surrounded by woodland and the odd soaring buzzard.
- Southall Pit Mound Pool
- Silkin Way Learning Zone
- Dawley and Stirchley Station Learning Zone
- By 17th June 1861 the Coalport Branch Railway (later renamed the L.M.S.R, and again the L.N.W.R.) had replaced the Shropshire Canal and two stations were established within what we know as Telford Town Park. One was the Stirchley Station, located to the south of the Park at the point where the Stirchley to Great Dawley road crossed the line.
The platform has been partly restored.
- The Grange Learning Zone
- Randlay Pool Picnic Area (coming soon)
- A great location for nurturing nature.
- Blue Pool Learning Zone
- Located at Grange Pool this area recently refurbished by the FOTTP provides an ideal location for a spot of bird watching amongst the reeds on Grange Pool.
Visit the Friends of Telford Town Park website for more information.
- Stone Row
- One of the more isolated set of dwellings, this row of 6 cottages built of massive sandstone blocks usually had some land attached to them and in the mid 19th century the cottagers had rented unfenced plots to create extensive areas of garden allotments. Pigsties and brew-houses often featured within the plots.
- Dark Lane
- A lane serving former dwellings and small hamlets in the area, some of which date back to the 1400’s. Remnants of these dwellings can be seen in and around the Park today.
- Landing Bay
- Traversing the centre of the site is the Shropshire Canal which, in 1808 appears to serve some off loading bays at Randlay Pool.
- Randlay Pits
- Mineral Railway
- From at least 1882, the G.W.R. (Great Western Railway) installed a mineral railway from Hollinswood down the Randlay valley to the east of the Coalport Branch line to serve the industries in Stirchley, industries located at the eastern area of the Park. The line of the Mineral Railway is preserved today within a pathway that traverses the eastern boundary of the Park. This pathway still holds structural evidence of the railway including posts, buildings and artefacts.
- Hinkshay to Silkin Way
- Hinkshay Settlement
- Situated to the south east of an old colliery and brickworks, this condensed settlement emerged following the establishment of a number of dwellings built c.1815 by the Botfield family of ironmasters for their workers at Hinkshay ironworks. ‘Double Row’, as its name suggests, was a row of back-to-back housing; the other rows were ‘Single Row’ and ‘New Row’ (also called ‘Ladies' Row’). A church and other amenities soon followed however the settlement disbanded after the demolition of the houses in the 1960’s. Recently the site of a community archaeology project.
- Hinkshay Row and New Row
- Railway & Canal (Silkin Way)
- By 17th June 1861 the Coalport Branch Railway (later renamed the L.M.S.R, and again the L.N.W.R.) had replaced the Shropshire Canal. Two stations were established; Stirchley Station and Malinslee Station.
- Wrekin Chemical Works
- In 1886 this site was leased to Thomas Groom who installed the Wrekin Chemical Works. Here timber was imported from his timber yard in Wellington and wood naphtha and tar would be extracted from the timber to make charcoal. Other products were acetate of lime and sulphur. In 1893 the Wrekin Chemical Works leased out the slag mounds to the south west of the site to H. C. Johnson, a Wrexham quarry owner, who extracted the slag for aggregate for road building and concrete manufacture. Johnson had installed a slag crusher on the site by 1901 and bought the land by 1907. Following the success of the Randlay Brickworks, George Wilkinson bought the site in 1904 until it closed in 1932. Stirchley Chimney provides lasting remnants of these works.
- Stirchley Forge & Rolling Mills
- Built in 1826 by the Botfield family, archaeological remains of buildings and structures can be found in the Park today. Like the Hinkshay works, the Stirchley forge and rolling mills were sold to the Haybridge Iron Co. in 1873. The works were rebuilt in 1876 and a nail factory was established on the site in 1874-5 until 1885. The forge and rolling mill continued in use until it closed in approximately 1900.
- Hinkshay Slag Works
- Northwood Crossways
- Hinkshay Iron Works
- Most of the early ironworks were located in Little Dawley, however, as the trade increased in the 1820s more furnaces were built further to the east. By 1852 one furnace was were sold to the Haybridge Iron Co. in 1873. In 1857 the Botfields purchased the estate and the works until they were blown out in the early 1870s. Further to the north at Hinkshay, the Botfields built two pairs of blast furnaces to supply pig iron to the forges at Old Park and Stirchley in approximately 1826. In 1863 the running of the works was taken over by the Botfield’s trustees, until the works were sold to the Haybridge Iron Co. in 1873. The iron works were disused by 1881.
- Shropshire Canal
- The Silkin Way, running north to south through the centre of the site, was formerly the Shropshire Canal and the Wellington and Coal port railway. In 1788-9 the Coalport branch of the Shropshire Canal was built along the western edge of Stirchley, through the centre of the Park. It was designed to link the key industrial centres of the area with the River Severn.
- New Works Colliery
- The Grange Colliery
- Mineral seams in Stirchley were located approximately 143 metres below ground level, slightly higher than in Dawley. The earliest evidence of mining in the settlement was on the Stirchley Hall and Grange Estate in 1811 by William Botfield, who previously rented 20 acres of land in 1800 and took leased out cottages in the parish for the workers in 1803. The mining was most likely on the site of the Stirchley New work, established in c. 1815 and the Stirchley pits in 1840. In 1822 there were 4 pits in operation, one of which was the Randlay pits (c.1820), located in the north east corner of the Park. By 1840 there were 5 collieries in Stirchley parish, including the original shaft at Stirchley pit, Grange colliery (c.1833), Cuxey's Wood pits (1834-5), Forge pits (1825-6) and Randlay pits. The Old Park Iron Co. acquired the mines until they closed in 1871. Grange colliery was the last to close in 1894.
- Randlay Brickworks
- The Botfield family established the Randlay Brickworks in 1838. Like the iron works the Haybridge Iron Co. obtained the brickworks from the Botfield trustees in 1873. The works were leased and then bought in 1898 by George Wilkinson and Adam Boulton to form the Randlay Brick & Tile Co. The clay pit was enlarged substantially in 1905 and continued in use until 1969.