Follow the Heritage Trail and see some of the park's vast historical treasures such as...
Stirchley Forge & Rolling Mills
The Hinkshay Works, Stirchley Forge and Rolling Mills are all Archaeological remains of buildings that can be found in the park today. They were all sold off to the Haybridge Iron Co. In 1873. The works were rebuilt in 1876 and a nail factory was established on the site in 1874/5 until 1885. The forge and rolling mill continued in use until it closure in approximately 1900.
Stirchley Chimney & Furnaces
The Iron Works were established in 1790 by Thomas Botfield, originally with two blast furnaces, a forge and a mill. The Chimney was constructed of Randlay brick and is approximately 209 feet high and is still standing. This is a permanent reminder of the industry that used to occupy the Town Park. There is a small opening on the western side of the Chimney and it was connected to the furnaces by a tunnel. The ironworks were blown out in 1885, however the forge and rolling mill continued in use until its closure in 1900.
The Silkin Way, running north to south through the centre of the park, was formerly the Shropshire Canal and the Wellington and Coalport railway. In 1788-9 the Coalport branch of the Shropshire Canal was built along the western edge of Stirchley, through the centre of the Park. It was designed to link the key industrial centres of the area with the River Severn.
Stirchley Station and Goods Shed
By 17 June 1861 the Coalport Branch Railway (later renamed the L.M.S.R, and again the L.N.W.R.) had replaced the Shropshire Canal and two stations were established within what we know as Telford Town Park. One was the Stirchley Station, located to the south of the Park at the point where the Stirchley to Great Dawley road crossed the line. Remnants of the station platform and goods shed can be seen today.